Sunday, December 16, 2012

Countdown to 30: Day 26 Michael Jackson

Is it me or does it seem like this countdown is going pretty fast?!? Wellllll today I am going to discuss my most favoritist (I have a PhD so I can make up my own words and you will deal lol) artist of ALL time. The late great Michael Joseph Jackson!!! *pelvic thrusts, moonwalks, spins and lands on toes* Thriller was the very first album (which was a cassette tape) that I received as a child even though I was only like 2. I had the making of Thriller on VHS. Yes DVD's were not around then don't judge -_- lol. I remember when MTV and VH1 used to actually played videos rather than the plethora amount of mind numbing reality shows that flood the TV gates now. I remember when Michael had a new album release or video release the world stopped and watched and went crazy because of the pure genius of it all. My very first CD was the HIStory album which I have to this day in great working condition. I have every album that he has ever released. I thought he was a creative genius whose music made you get up and dance or shed some type of awareness. Even going back to the Jackson 5/Jacksons days, you could tell that this young man was going to be someone special. Although Thriller became the greatest selling album of all time I tend to disagree on it being his greatest album. Like most solo artist the first album is the beast but tends to get overlooked. In my opinion, Off the Wall was his greatest work. The jazz chords along with the Michael Jackson dance feel....*chills up my spine* It was a great work. The match between he and Quincy Jones (I'm a huge Quincy fan as well) was a match made in heaven. They made magic together. His music, clothes and dance is what inspired many artists today and it is because of him that many doors were opened for African American musicians/artists. He made it cool to were flood pants, white socks, penny loafers with a white glove. The iconic jacktes (Thriller, Beat It, Bad), the moonwalk, the suits with the stripe on the arm...(and Lord did he make those suits look delicious *swoon*) is all what made Michael an icon. His concerts were exhilarating, energetic, and entertaining. People would pass out just from being in the same stadium as he. He was the only man to make grown men cry. Him turning his head just a few inches made people scream and cry. Only Michael Jackson could do this. There is not another artist that had this type of hold on people. And I loved it. I never got the chance to see him live but I know I would've been that fan crying, passing out (with my friends waking me up reminding me how much money we paid for the tickets), throwing panties, the works lol. I thought we has the cutest thing ever. I would attempt to imitate every dance move. I nearly know the dance routines to every video even though I'm not much of a good dancer. Lord knows I try though lol. The man was a genius when it came to his craft. Not only was he an artist but a humanitarian as well. He not only donated to many charities but he visited the sick, helped out with relief efforts, and would open his home to sick children across the country. There will never be another Michael Jackson.



The other side of Michael Jackson.....
One has to wonder what Michael would have been like if the Pepsi commercial incident hadn't occurred. This is when the prescription drug addiction began. I can only imagine the pain he endured due to the accident. Also the fame factor. He became a household name by the age of 5. He couldn't walk the streets or he would be pummeled with eager and often inconsiderate fans. When Michael came to town the whole city shut down. People would flood the streets just to get a glimpse of him. This made him larger than life and sadly even more revered than God. *yikes*  Sad to say but we made this man to be bigger than God on many occasions. And when his life became a downward spiral, many turned their backs on him or enabled him. And even if you said no, he would find someone else who would do it for him. This ultimately led to his untimely death. His death robbed us fans of one the greatest comeback tours ever to be conceived by any artist. *waves fist at Conrad Murray* Although based on his health and what I saw from "This Is It" I didn't think he would last the whole tour but to see it once....*faints* No matter our talents or how great we are, we all have our demons. It is us praying and entrusting God with these demons that help us to persevere. And the plastic surgeries....Michael was one sexy specimen. I don't understand for the life of me why he went through so many surgeries. I guess no matter how successful or popular you are if you don't have self esteem or self love, the rest doesn't matter. I think I just said something there people.

My take home message for the day.....
Michael was a great artist, father, humanitarian. His music brought people together of all races. His heart was bigger than any I've ever seen. Despite these good qualities, it was the world's fascination with him, that made him bigger than God, alienated him and ultimately led to his death. Fortune and fame often come with a great price. It is OK to like your favorite artist but to place that person above God or make that person your God is detrimental and destructive. We really have to be careful because it is really easy to do so. We have to also pay attention to our shortcomings, pray over them and work hard to keep them from overtaking you. Finally, don't let the public's opinion of you define who you are. Be confident in your skin, love yourself, take pride in who are. People are going to always say what they want to say but it's your opinion of self that really matters. And if you have low self esteem, fix that. Make a list of things you love about your self and focus on that. Over a period of time that list will grow. Be the best you, that you can be. So to Michael Jackson, we love you. We miss you and your music. Music really sucks without you. (this will be my topic tomorrow sigh)  Thank you for all the doors you opened and the legacy that you left behind in the world of music.


Until tomorrow.....moonwalk, shamone, pelvic thrust and HeeHee the day away! (after church that is lol) Love you all!


Doc J



Here are some of my fav MJ tunes! Enjoy!!!














No comments:

Post a Comment