Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Countdown to 30: Day 25 Alpha Kappa Alpha

*singing* ALLLLL OF MY LIIIFFEEE AND MY DAAAYY I LOVE MY AKA!
Hey loves! I'm quite nostalgic when it comes to thinking of my sisterhood. Every since I was 4 years old, I knew I wanted to be a woman of Alpha Kappa Alpha! I remember seeing the step shows and thinking I want to do that one day. Watching my aunt wear her letters with pride, grace and elegance made me want it even more. My desires were solidified when I walked upon the campus of Jackson State University. It was here that I saw the real work of Alpha Kappa Alpha. It was here that I saw all of the community service, the programs promoting excellence and high scholastic standards. These women were amazing. They not only juggled the cruelty of school work but spearheaded community service, leaders in student government, lead drum major, highest GPA on campus, etc. Soooo on February 8, 2004 I became a member of the greatest sorority ever and began to dive into the work of AKA. But most importantly, I've developed great friendships and gained great sisters over the last almost 9 years. *whew I'm getting old in the sorority*


Fast Forward to 2011-2012.....
From January 2011 to February 2012, I went through many changes. It was a very stressful time in my life but I thank God for the many lessons that I learned during that time. When I say my sisters stepped up for me during my time of need....LORD! From texts, emails, phone calls, gifts, visits, just the outpouring of love from Sisters I've never even met. And my goon Sorors...lol...I love you guys to death. They were ready to take some folk out if I needed it lol. Just kidding but it was one of my goon Sorors that gave me the idea for the pennies *a story that I will share if the demand for it is great enough lol* I remember texting a line sister saying that I needed to get out because my divorce was being finalized that week and she banded the crew together that moment which really meant a lot to me. We did what we loved to do most....break bread together! Lol! We laughed, joked, and I was really able to just release some pint up emotions. It was also my Sorors that encouraged me to keep pushing and keep fighting. When I say I love my AKA...I really love my AKA!

My take home message for the day.....
Always be grateful for the people place in your life. We are all here to help one other in some shape or form. Be willing to accept help from others as to hinder their blessing as well as yours. I thank God for allowing me the opportunity to be a part of such a great and illustrious sisterhood. These are some pretty awesome women and I'm glad to be called your sister! I want to thank all of those who prayed for me, called me, sent me gifts, and the list could go on forever. I want you all to know that I truly appreciate you. I know that God placed you all in my life and I am forever indebted to you all. If you all never need me, I am always here. We help each other for we know there's no other like our sisterhood, Alpha Kappa Alpha! Skee Wee Sorors!!!!


Until tomorrow....I love you!

Doc J

No comments:

Post a Comment