Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Countdown to 30: Day 24 Mi Familia

I'm going to talk about some folk who are near and dear to my heart. They have been my biggest cheerleaders throughout life. Without them there would be no me. They helped me to become great and helped mold the person you see today. My family! Lord knows I love them no matter how much they may get on my nerve lol. I have been blessed to meet the majority of grandparents and great grandparents. I guess you could say my family is considered to be "young." But they are/were wise beyond their years. I've listened to some friends stories about their parents and let me just say I am truly thankful and indebted to mine! They ate some the funniest people I know and when we all get together, it's always a knee slapping good time. So let me tell you about my family.....

Many know my father, Coach West. He's a silly old man and a pure genius. The man knows his chemistry and is great at it. I'm a daddy's girl to the fullest. When I was younger I thought that my dad was too strict on us. Now that I'm almost 30 and have seen some of the cruelties of this world, I now realize that he only loved us and wanted to protect us. I really appreciate him for that. My Dad would take someone out if they messed with his family. Richard don't play lol. My dad spoiled me rotten especially when I was sick. He can't cook worth a dime but he can make a mean fruit salad and order pizza like a pro lol. It's cool now to sit back and have deep conversations with my daddy. During my divorce he was my rock next to Jesus. I know deep down inside he wanted to do bodily harm to my ex but I was his #1 concern plus I think it helps that he has Jesus in his life lol. He has supported me in every facet of my life and I am forever grateful to have such a great dad.

As I've written before my mom passed away leaving my dad with 3 small children to raise alone. When I was I years old my dad remarried and boy were we happy lol. Cheryl is the best step mom anyone could ask for. She along with her family treated us like we were her own. I didn't have to endure any of the horror stories of step parenting. She is a very sweet person with a huge great and she can cook her butt off! *Praise Him* I thank her for checking our homework every night, attending every school function, taking us to church, hot combing our hair *she should get an award for that alone lol*, being a listening ear when we needed it, and the list goes on. I can only imagine that task she was faced with taking on 3 young children but she did an amazing job and I thank her!

I have 5 siblings. Yes...5! With the youngest being 10. One thing I admired about my parents was the love and affection they showed toward one another. It was because of them that I knew I wanted to get married one day. Any who, my siblings....these hams lol. I love my siblings although sometimes they irritate the stew out of me lol. We are all really close. We get together for Sunday dinner, have sibling lunches, etc. The three way calls are always hilarious. It's never a dull moment with us at all. I can tell you that I'm very proud of my siblings and love them to pieces. I'm proud to be their sister.

My grandparents are THE coolest grandparents ever! They are hip to the latest technology and will have you rolling with laughter. My grandfather is like my best friend hands down. He's about 6' 4" but will cry like a baby at the accomplishments of his grandchildren. As he say he's a big sack of tears lol. I used to love going to Chicago to visit my grandparents and our summer trips to Florida. My grandparents were also very supportive in all of our endeavors.

Lastly, my great grandmother Olla Mae aka Mah. This woman right here was so wise. She instilled in us to love one another no matter what. I'm quite sure this is why my siblings and I are so close. She also was big on us getting our education and bettering ourselves. She helped to raise us when my mom passed away. She had some conundrums for you too. I remember when she told someone they weren't worth a pot to piss in, I literally cried from laughter. I have so many great memories of her and as of late I have really missed her. I hope that she is proud of the woman that I've become.

I have some of the best aunts, uncles, and cousins that any girl could ask for. I could go on and on about how great my family is but that would take a novel and a Hollywood film. I love the stew out of them and truly appreciate them for all they have done and continue to do. To my nieces and nephew, tee tee is super proud of you guys and I love you all.

Take home message....
You can't choose which family you will be born into, but I thank God for mine. I am blessed to say that we really haven't had many bumpy roads when it came to our relationship. We tend to forgive quickly because we know that life is short. Family is so important on a world full of hate. I don't know where I'd be without my family. They are everything to me and I would do anything in my power for them. I just want you all to know that I love you and thank you for your love, support and prayers throughout my life. I pray that we continue to grow stronger and stronger as a family.

Until tomorrow....tell your family that you love them and appreciate them. Don't wait until their funeral to say something nice or to express your feelings to them. Give them their flowers while they are still living.

Doc J

Here are a few pics of a portion of my family. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment