Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Countdown to 30: Day 17 I Should Have....

Hey gang! I hope everyone had a blessed holidays. I know I did. I ate waaaayyyy too much! Thank you Lord for all the delicious food! Amen! Lol. Any who....have you ever looked over your life and said I should have done this or I wish I'd done that? As of late, this has been me on a daily basis. The major thing being I should have gone to medical school. Oh how I beat myself up about this. Many say "you're still young, go for it"and I very politely say.."I ain't got time for that!" Lol. But for real, I really feel I'm too old to go back to school and to be honest I'm all schooled out right now. I've been in school since I was 4 years old. 2012 is the first year I've gone without being in school since pre-K. It's past due time for me to take a break. But sometimes I do regret not at least taking the MCAT but meh. Back in the TV, when watching TV was enjoyable and entertaining and wholesome, there was this show on TLC called Operation. I used to watch it faithfully. I knew that was going to be me one day. One day, I watched an episode and every incision that the doctor made I could feel. It was the weirdest feeling ever. I was squirming and began to be grossed out. I didn't know why it was happening, it had never happened before. So I took it as a sign that being a medical doctor wasn't for me.  I made so many excuses as to why I didn't want to go to Med School. I have a laundry list of should haves, could haves, and would haves. I have to remember that things work according to God's plan. I always felt like if it was it was His will for me to go to Med School it would've happened.

But let me tell you what I really like....THE LAB. Yes I am a lab rat. The rush of research....whoo chile! Exhilarating  Call me what you want but I know that the lab is where I belong. Although I'm no longer in research I'm still in a clinical lab. If I had know that I would have ended in this career path I would've gotten my PhD in my current field. To analyze patient samples is gratifying...but what really gives me a rush is the Blood Bank. Emergency crossmatches, finding compatible units, determining patient antibodies.....talking about an adrenaline rush! *fist pump* I can't wait until I can become a full time blood banker. *stares off into moonlight* I know, I know, you're like blood....ewwwww but I'm telling you...the thought of your work saving someones life is awesome. The hardest part of my job is when a patient dies. If I'm attached just by a sample imagine how I would be on patient contact. I really have a genuine care, love and concern for people no matter how good or evil that person may be. Sometimes a gift and a curse.

My take home message for the day.....
We can't live our lives in should have, could have, would have. Life goes on. If I continue to harp on the fact that I didn't go to medical school, I would miss out on the many blessings that God has bestowed upon me. I have a great job in which I'm able to help people in the background. I'm thankful for what God has done in my life. My advice to someone who may be in college attempting figure out what they should do. First, pray. Second, be obedient to God's commandments. Third, listen. God plants things in our hearts all the time, but often times we don't hear it because we're talking to much. Fourth, research how to get to your goal. Fifth, plan. Set goals and plan, plan, plan. And Finally, Execute. Don't let anyone or anything keep you away from your dreams. Be yourself. Have no fear for God is with you. God does not give us the spirit of fear but of power and a sound mind. Even if you fail, pick yourself up and try again. Be careful of who you express your dreams to as well. Everyone doesn't want see you succeed. Reach for the stars but make sure you're in God's will. And watch God work!

Until tomorrow....follow your dreams and pray over them. Pay it forward and never give up!

Love you guys and thank you so much for your kind works of support and encouragement! I'm truly humbled!

Doc J

No comments:

Post a Comment